Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Would you put your life on the line for a haircut?

When I was back in my hometown, St. Cloud, Minnesota, last week I went to Bo Diddley's for lunch, because they have the best subs (Lawrence folks may argue for Yellow Sub, but any St. Cloud native appreciates Bo Didd's). When I pulled up I noticed that the barber shop next door had a big sign that said "Concealed Carry Welcome Here."

Now, I understand that the shop owner was trying to make a political statement, sort of a passive-aggressive backlash against all the companies in town that now have signs banning concealed weapons. But, all politics aside, is that really a good business decision? Essentially what he's saying is, "I'd love for you to patronize my business, but if I were you I'd come packing heat, cause you never know what might happen around here."

If you own a grocery store that might be fine. People have to eat, after all. But if it's really that dangerous to get a haircut, aren't people just going to let their hair grow out, or maybe buy a clippers and cut it themselves? I mean, it's somewhat absurd to put your life on the line for a haircut, isn't it?

Husband: Honey, I'm going to get a haircut. In case I don't make it back, I just want you and the kids to know that I love you very much.

Wife: Wait a second, why would you not make it back?

Husband: I fully expect a violent biker gang to burst into the barber shop bent on mayhem and homicide.

Wife: A violent biker gang?

Husband: Yeah, I'm going to the barber shop next to Bo Diddley's and you know how biker gangs love Bo Diddley's. I think it's the buy-one-get-one-free lunch special. I mean, if you've got a gang of 30 hungry bikers, you're talking 15 free subs there.

Wife: I guess. Well honey, if it's that dangerous, why don't you just stay home? Your hair doesn't look that bad anyway. 

Husband: No, my dear, now's the time to be brave. I may be putting my life on the line, but let's face it, this haircut is sooo last month. 

Wife: Alright, but at least bring your gun.

Kind of absurd, right? And if it really is that rough out there, then where does that leave people like me, who are trigger-finger challenged? Perhaps I can apply for a concealed hand grenade permit.

1 comment: