Thursday, June 4, 2009

Anyone want to tour KC with me?

My plan right now is to move back to Minnesota on July 4th weekend. I've recently realized that means I only have a month left to see all the stuff in Kansas City that I've been meaning to see in the last five years that I've lived here (nine years if you count the time I spent less than an hour away at KU).

Below is a list of the sites I'm interested in, along with their hours of operation and adult admission fees. If you live in the area too and would like to come along, let me know. Also let me know if you have any suggestions for cool stuff I may have left out. I tentatively plan to kick off the list with a trip to the Blue Room to see Ida McBeth tomorrow (Friday) night.

Blue Room

($10 for Ida McBeth on Friday at 8:30)


Arthur Bryant's/ LC's BBQ

(About $10 each)


Sprint Center and College Basketball Experience

(Wednesday-Sunday 11 AM to 6 PM, $10)


Nelson-Atkins art museum

(Wednesday-Sunday afternoons, free)


Truman home/museum in Independence

(Monday-Saturday 9 AM-5PM, Sunday noon-5 PM, $8)


Wizards game

(7:30 PM June 6 vs. Columbus or 7:30 PM June 13 vs. New England, $15)


Union Station

(Tuesday-Saturday 10 AM-4 PM, Sunday noon-4 PM, several exhibits including KC Rail Experience, and Narnia: The Exhibition- $14 reservation needed).


*National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame (Bonner Springs)

(Monday-Saturday 9 AM-5 PM, Sunday 1 PM - 5 PM, $7)


*Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farmstead (Olathe

(Wednesday-Sunday 10 AM-4 PM, $6)


*These are not exactly "must-sees" but if I have time I might as well.

2 comments:

  1. Blue Room - Been there. It's definitely a cool place to have a cocktail and catch some live jazz.

    The Nelson??? Umm, let me know when you are going there...Sara and I would definitely be down.

    Wizards game...down for that too. Maybe find a nice weekday evening game?

    Union Station - the exhbits are ehhh but I just like walking around the big spaces and looking at the architecture. A magnificant building.

    Truman Museum - Went there as a kid, don't remember much.

    Been to the Sprint Center many times but not the CBE. Heard it's probably worth going to once to check out.

    I'd also recommend if you haven't been there:
    - Kemper Museum (right by the Nelson)
    - Dinner at Skies on top of the Hyatt (ok, this may be a little more expensive than you want...but it's a great view and it rotates!...food is good too!)
    - Liberty Memorial. On First Friday's they keep it open at night so you can go up top and catch a view. Otherwise the observation deck closes at like 5 or 6.
    - Powell Gardens. Little bit of a drive, but cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also add Bazooka's to the list. You can never see enough boobies in any town.

    Aside from that, I'm wanting to know when the LC's trip is and when thw College Basketball Experience trip is. I'd be down for both. I love the Nelson too, but apparently was invited for that sight-seeing tour. Bollocks.

    ReplyDelete