Friday, August 14, 2009

A second chance

Michael Vick is back in the NFL. Wow, that was fast.

When Vick signed with the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday I have to say I was surprised. He's a dynamic, unique player, so I figured someone would sign him eventually, but I thought it would take a little more time (and perhaps a few more injuries to prominent QBs) for a team to decide he was worth the P.R. headache.

I still stand by my earlier opinion that Vick (and all felons) should spend at least one probationary year on the practice squad to earn their way back onto the field. That won't happen in Vick's case, but I'm begrudgingly accepting the situation as it stands. Vick will start the season as a back-up to Donovan McNabb, so he won't be just handed a starting position and a leadership role straight out of prison, which I think is a good thing. And his contract is one year for $1.6 million, which, while more than I think he deserves, is reasonable by NFL standards. Most of it will go to paying his debts anyway, so he won't be handed his previous life of luxury straight out of prison either, which I think is as it should be.

I would be more angry about it if Vick hadn't done everything right so far to earn a second chance. He's expressed remorse without making excuses. He's sought mentoring from Tony Dungy, who may be just the kind of stand-up father figure he needs. He's worked with the Humane Society to speak out about the consequences of dog fighting.

That last partnership may be the most key aspect of Vick's comeback. It's certainly an odd pairing — the most famous dog abuser in human history volunteering with the Humane Society — but it has tremendous potential to benefit both parties. As the president of the Humane Society recently pointed out, Vick allows the organization to reach audiences they could never hope to get through to in the past. And Vick desperately needs the support of a group like the Humane Society to mitigate the PETA attacks that are almost certain to descend on Philly soon. There are a lot of people who will never forgive Vick, and will never forgive the Eagles for signing him.

I'm a dog lover myself. Everyone who knows me knows that my buddy Baxter is close to my heart. But I'm ready to move on, and assume that Vick is truly sorry, he's learned his lesson and he's going to respresent the NFL well and turn his story into a positive. I'm sure there will be plenty of people protesting Vick's reinstatement. I just wonder how many will also protest if and when Donte Stallworth comes back. After all Stallworth killed a person and, whether accidental (DUI in Stallworth's case) or not, we should be able to muster up just as much righteous indignation for his victim as for Vick's.

6 comments:

  1. Did you catch his performance on 60 Minutes tonight? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your take on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already decided I won't have any Eagles on any of my Fantasy Football teams.
    As for Stallworth, I'm still shocked that he's facing less time than Burress!
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/06/17/2009-06-17_plaxico_burress_lawyer_argues_for_donte_stallworthlike_sentence_or_less.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. He seemed incredibly rehearsed and handled on 60 Minutes. But at least we know he feels sorry enough to hire a really good P.R. team. I don't know. It's impossible to know what's phony anymore, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves himself wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point, I guess it's the most we can hope for. I guess he hasn't done anything before this, so in all fairness maybe it's a "wait and see" situation at this point. I do think that more appropriate steps could/should have been taken in reinstating him, as you've already covered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might want to check this out...
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/07/please-stop-the-michael-vick-hypocrisy/

    It gets me thinking that out of Vick, Stallworth, and Burress... Vick might be the least deserving of being reinstated. Burress the least deserving of prison time. What a sweet system we have in place.

    ReplyDelete