Thursday, December 24, 2009

2009 Christmas Letter (Part 3 — finale)



Since moving back home it has been nice seeing more of Mom, Dad and Grandma, but I plan to move out and move on this summer. I am applying to grad schools (right now my favorites are Northwestern, Columbia and Maryland) and weighing some other options. If conditions ever improve in the newspaper biz there may be full-time work at the Times and there's also the possibility I could have a book published.

Oh, I didn't mention that? That's right, the book, the infamous "Meningitis Memoir" (not the working title) is in its last throes. It is now about 128 pages in single-spaced, 10-point font and I'm thinking that is about enough. Only two more challenges lie ahead: finding someone who will publish it, and then, if I should be so lucky, finding the emotional strength to release this intensely personal work into the hands of the public.

So, if all goes well, perhaps at this point next year there will be a book out with my name on it, just in time for the holidays ("Makes a great gift!"). If I sell any, another international trip may be in my future. After all, that Swiss girl is still out there somewhere.

God bless us, everyone,
Andy

2 comments:

  1. Not sure what brought your name back to mind this morning, but thanks to Google I found your blog. I followed your story after reading about your fight somewhere in the Lawrence media. Congrats on making lemonade with your job situation, hope it results in some sweet new adventures. Best wishes also with the book, I will be buying a copy when it gets published!

    Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
    Donna Kirk-Swaffar
    BSJ '89

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get the book on tape? I'll listen to it on my flight or drive to help you move this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete