Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My first D.C. clip (sort of)

OK, so I got my first article published in a D.C. area newspaper, an African-American weekly called the Afro. That's cool and all, except that they didn't give me a byline:

http://www.afro.com/sections/NEWS/Prince-Georges-County-News/story.htm?storyid=1970

Note how it says "Special to the Afro" instead of "by Andy Marso." This is kind of a big deal, because when you're a student journalist shopping stories around for free, the only real benefit is getting a "clip" to put in your portfolio. Unfortunately, without a byline, there's no way to prove to potential employers that it's mine.

But maybe it's just as well. The lead isn't too strong (I changed it in the version I submitted for class). I still got course credit, anyway, and if nothing else it illustrates that there's a lot more media opportunities out here. I'm pretty sure there was no African-American newspaper in St. Cloud.

Still, would have been nice to get that little byline. *Sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment