Sunday, February 27, 2011

Public transit sells out (maybe), Govt. shuts down (maybe) and basketball

Another variety-filled week. The D.C. Metro system is in a major cash-crunch and is discussing selling the naming rights to its stations to corporate sponsors. I found that this is a bit of a national trend, so I wrote a story about it that featured Portland, a city most people think would be resistant to such measures.

Then I moved on to the growing talk of a federal government shutdown. It's been written about extensively out here, so I decided to take a new tack, focusing on a few small businesses in areas that are rife with government workers and exploring how a shutdown would hit them. It gave me the opportunity to incorporate a little color in the writing.

Then I got called in for special duty at the Post, covering Saturday's women's basketball game between Georgetown and top-ranked, legendary Connecticut. Georgetown made the defending champs look pretty darn ordinary, even if the Huskies ultimately prevailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment